Sunday, June 20, 2010

Education celebration

I was taught that  education or learning is a life long process. But I believe college and schools were the prime time for learning and educating. High school graduation possibly symbolizes a considerable achievement in ones education. Yet the end of 12 grade should be  the beginning of a serious intellectual pursuit. This should serve as a stepping stone for further success. With a high school diploma, it will take you to a new horizon.


I had the pleasure of attending 2010 Oakton High School graduation ceremony at George Mason university campus. I was there to cheer  Phuntsok, for his acommplishment. The big auditorium is filled with proud parents, and siblings as one of their sons or daughters, have reached a milestone in their life's journey. When I graduated high school in early 1997, at TCV school, I  recall that we were honoured with a graduation ceremony with a candle light dinner. The teachers and concerned staff delivered some heartfelt speeches to the graduates in a fesitive filled validication. I remember clearly, as one of our warden says " do not smoke and do not drink", anything else is fine. "Never afraid of working hard, whatever comes on your way, take it". Sound like some ordinary and common sense advices. But the impact of thier last words on me was extraordinary. For I didnt indulge in any drinking, and nor I smoked. I worked hard, and never give up anything that comes to challenge me.

In America, 95% of graduates go to colleges, as stated at the ceremony. In the commencement speech, the speaker pointed to the sitting graduates as the future seeds of their nations. "I see lawyers, scientists, teachers, doctors ".Yes, those sitting on that commencent, will play a pivotal role in society and for the nation at a later stage.  With high school leaving behind, the graduate are now considered to be more matured, more self responsible and respectful. Moving toward an uncharted direction is quite intimidating. It is time, that any student will be faced with many choices.  The right choice will help you with sound decision, and the wrong choice will bring diasaster.

My piece of mind to the graduates and particulary to Phuntsok is that "your destiny lay squearly in your hand". It is time to gobble down as much as books as you  can. It is time for you to be excited, and time to explore any possible career opportunity. Time flies and it is you to navigate the direction.
As His Holiness the Dalai Lama stressed on the importance of education, and it was his first priority after reaching India from Tibet. The Tibet struggle is based on nonviolence movement, and education is one most effective tool of our struggle against the  Chinese. As a Tibetan student in the west or any where, should shoulder the dual responsiblity as an individual student and as ambassador of Tibet. And here I would like quote Robert Frost,s eternal lines " The woods are dark, deep and lovely, but I have miles to go , before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep".

No comments: