Saturday, July 4, 2009

Interdependence

The buddhist concept of emptiness and interdependence is hard to grasp. But by comparing it to the communication concept as a system, there is a clear correlation between the two concepts.
For example, communication as a system means "the essentional components interact each other to function as a whole, or whole is greater than the sum of its parts". There is a similarity to the buddhist concept of emptiness and interdepent. In the book " The wisdom of forgiveness", the Dalai lama explains the terms as such:

"emptiness is just another way of saying that things are devoid of individual, inherent existence. nothing-people, thoughts , cars can independently exist on its own, it is an enlightend way of looking at the world around us. None of us is an island, the world is a vast web of interwined events, people and things. These linkage maybe difficult to say , but they are real, always there lurking just neath the surface."

"Everything in the world -things,people, animals, emotions, objects you name it -is empty. Beceause everything is interwined, there is no independence, nothing exists in and of itself"...
So there is a formula for happiness: emptiness+compassion=happiness
So according to Julia, interpersonal communication is systemic, because it takes place within various systems. All parts of system interact; each part affects all others. In other words, elements of communication systems are interdependent; each variables are tied to the other variables or elements.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Friday, July 3, 2009
The wisdom of forgiveness
This book is truly fascinating, it is extremely nourishing in its content and fulfilling, http://www.wisdomofforgiveness.com/
I was fortunate to read this book, recommended to me by someone I least expected. This treasure has undoubtedly enriched my inner wealth. I have gained some spiritual understanding from this book. Early I was enraged by someone, who has done something horrible for me. Believe or not I drop the thought of asking my pound of flesh from this guy now. It is because as a result of my reading and understanding of "the wisdom of forgiveness", my little awaking to the concept of interdependent, emptiness and compassion, helped to calm my mind.
Posted by dhargyal at 3:57 PM